Not all allergy problems require you to see an allergist. If you are able to control your occasional allergy symptoms with over-the-counter antihistamines or nasal steroids, you usually don’t need to see a doctor that specializes in allergies. However, if your allergies are interfering with your normal day-to-day activities, it may be time to see an allergist.
Signs You Need to See an Allergy Specialist
It’s time to make an appointment to see an allergist if:
- Your allergy symptoms last longer than regular seasonal allergy periods
- You constantly have nasal congestion, problems breathing through your nose or chronic sinus infections
- Over-the-counter antihistamines or nasal steroid sprays no long prevent or control your allergy symptoms
- Your quality of life is suffering because of your allergies or asthma
- You have problems catching your breath and feel tightness in your chest
- Exercise has become difficult because you constantly cough or wheeze
- You are taking your prescribed asthma medication and having more frequent asthma attacks
How an Allergist Can Help
An allergist has been specifically trained in treating and preventing allergy and asthma issues. This type of doctor is best qualified to treat your individual allergy or asthma issues. After completing his or her three-year residency program after graduating from medical school, the doctor continues with at least two years of additional training focused on allergies and immunology.
Your doctor will develop an individualized treatment plan to control your allergy symptom and asthma attacks. Treatment plans generally include:
- Identifying what allergens are triggering your symptoms
- Advice in how to avoid these triggers to prevent allergy or asthma attacks
- Medication to treat your allergy or asthma issues
- Allergy shots when indicated to reduce your sensitivity to allergens that trigger your allergies or asthma
In some cases, allergies and asthma problems can be life threatening, so it is important to seek proper medical attention. The staff at Dakota Allergy & Asthma is ready to assist you with managing your allergies and asthma.